USPS Informed Delivery: A Great Way to Drive Increased Direct Mail ROI
Author: Melissa Fransen
If you are looking for a way to drive incremental responses and increased ROI from your direct mail campaigns, USPS Informed Delivery is a great way to do just that.
What is USPS Informed Delivery?
Informed Delivery from the United States Postal Service (USPS) gives consumers a sneak peak of their letter-sized mail (outer envelope or self-mailer image) before it arrives in their mailbox through a daily email that the consumer signs up for.
It consists of two main elements:
1) A large grayscale image of the piece or a 4-color representative image of the mailer.
2) A smaller, accompanying image that offers interactive marketing potential. Clicking on this image or on the “Learn More” call to action opens the URL associated with the campaign. It can also be used to open a marketer’s phone app for the recipient to call.
How Many People Are Signed Up for Informed Delivery?
As of 4/23/2021, the USPS reports that Informed Delivery has nearly 38 million users and a national saturation of over 22%.
Based on a 2020 Spring Mail Moment Study, the USPS reports that 50% of the audience surveyed had seen an interactive ad in the past 6 months. Of those, 74% have clicked on an interactive ad, and an astounding 63% had purchased from the website they accessed from the Informed Delivery campaign!
This presents a huge opportunity for marketers to drive incremental sales before the mail piece even arrives to the consumer’s home!
What Data Can I See as a Marketer with USPS Informed Delivery?
The following data is provided for Informed Delivery Campaigns.
- Density and Email Statistics (Number of users and % who elect to receive Informed Delivery emails)
- Email Open Rates (Number and % of emails opened)
- Click Through Rates (Number and % of people that clicked through on the digital content)
Nahan Can Help You Get Started
Our team at Nahan is here to help! We can provide input and guidance on setup, creative, measurement, and more with USPS Informed Delivery campaigns. Plus, as an extra bonus, the USPS is offering an Informed Delivery promotion later this year, so this is a great way to save on postage! Contact us to learn more!
Bio: Melissa Fransen is our Marketing Manager. She started with Nahan in May of 2017. Melissa is responsible for Nahan’s marketing initiatives, which includes everything from conference planning to social media initiatives. In her spare time, Melissa enjoys spending time with her husband and enjoying time in the outdoors with family and friends.